Easy, Cheesy Broccoli soup is the kind of soup that makes one feel nourished. And spoiled. And loved. And food-happy.
It’s creamy and smooth and full of cheese soup amazingness — plus broccoli. What’s not to love? And who knew it was possible to make cheese soup without any processed cheese?! Well, not only is it possible, but this from-scratch recipe made with just a few ingredients will satisfy that need you have for rich and creamy soup while nourishing you through and through.
Begin by chopping one large or two small heads of broccoli into small pieces. Put them in a saucepan with six cups of chicken broth or stock. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
While the broccoli is cooking, chop a small onion finely.
In a soup pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onions to the melted butter and sauté until tender.
Whisk in a heaping 1/2 cup of flour and continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes to let the flour cook.
Add in 1/2 tsp. pepper.
Slowly whisk in 1 1/4 c. milk until thickened.
Turn heat to low and add 8 oz. of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
and 4 oz cream cheese.
You can definitely use any kinds of cheese you’d like. I just like the blend of the sharp cheddar with the creaminess of the cream cheese.
I also want to mention that since I first wrote this post, we seem to have lost our taste for American cheese around this house. If you have the original recipe, it called for 16 oz. of American cheese. You can certainly use that recipe if you’d like, but it is absolutely possible to
achieve the creamy results we all crave by subbing in the cream cheese for the processed cheese and still get all the creamy yum we look for in Cheese Broccoli Soup!
Once it’s all melted together, whisk the cooked broccoli and broth into the cheesy yum.
Heat on low, stirring often until thickened.
So there you go! Serve it with some yummy bread like some Buttery Biscuits and Apple Butter.
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Alison: That Which Nourishes
Recipe type: Soup, Meal
- 1 large or two small heads of fresh broccoli
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock
- 6 T. butter
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup (heaping) flour
- 1¼ c. milk
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- Chop broccoli into small pieces. Put them in a large pot with chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Chop a small onion finely.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender.
- Whisk in flour and keep whisking 2-3 minutes to let the flour taste cook off.
- Slowly whisk in milk until the temperature comes to a low boil and the sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and add in the freshly grated Cheddar and cream cheese.
- When all is melted beautifully, add it to the broccoli and broth. Heat on low until thickened, stirring occasionally to keep it from scorching.